February is a couple of weeks away and thus we are nearing one of the most awaited days of the hopelessly romantics, the Valentine’s Day. For Filipinos, more than the day of love, the second day of the year is very significant time because it is when the historic EDSA Revolution happened in 1985.
Every year, Pinoys commemorate February 25 as the we achieve democracy and freedom from what was referred as Marcos Dictatorship. One of the most iconic personalities from that revolt is Senator Gregorio “Gringo” Honasan, the aide-de-camp of then-defense minister and fellow Senator Juan Ponce Enrile. Honasan will forever be known as the member of the Reform the Armed Forces Movement (RAM) that triggered the ouster of President Ferdinand Marcos from decades of power.
Recently, Honasan had lunch with some members of the local blogging community and shared some of thoughts, plans and even his personal life.
Here are some interesting fast facts about the former soldier turned lawmaker that he revealed during the said event:
1. His BFF in the senate is Sen. Tito Sotto, whom he describes as the person who have always given him time and trust unconditionally.
2. His favorite movies of all time are “300” and “The Equalizer.”
3. Other than playing golf, what keeps him “fit” is his duty of talking care of his five grandchildren.
4. He is a bonsai aficionado.
5. He does not own a smartphone but he checks his Facebook account via his laptop.
6. He confessed that his greatest fear is that he is is afraid of disappointing God.
7. He almost became a priest.
8. He went on to the Philippine Military Academy and graduated as the Class Baron, he institution’s highest leadership award.
9. He admitted that during the days he was hiding from the authorities, he once disguised as a woman.
10. He is principal author and co-author of the Clean Air Act of 1999, Clean Water Act, the National Security Policy, Disaster Risk Reduction Management Act of 2009, the Solid Waste Management Act of 2000 and the Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Program Extension with Reforms Law (CARPER).
11. He is shepherding the Freedom of Information Act which he now refers to as the POGI Bill – People’s Ownership of Government Information Act.
12. If he wins as the country’s Vice President in the national elections this year, he prefers to be appointed to be the secretary of DILG.
The life and political career of Senator Honasan, the first truly independent candidate in Philippine political history to win in national elections, has captured the attention and interest of many Filipinos. His journey towards a higher position is definitely something worth looking forward to. Wheather he will succed or not, only time will tell… and the people to decide.