Diabetes in the Philippines is a growing health problem affecting the lives of 9.7% of the adult population in 2012. This number tends to double if we add the 12.5% of Filipinos at-risk of diabetes with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT). Combined, 1 out of every 5 Filipino adults or an estimated 11 million has either prediabetes or diabetes.4
Filipinos are considered members of a high-risk ethnic population5 and this is for the reason that the Filipino diet is accustomed to high levels of sugar content. The data shouldn’t come as a surprise for a carbohydrate-loading nation, whose staple meals include rice, bread, sweet potato, corn and other sugary food.
The Department of Health posted diabetes as the 8th top cause of disease-related death in the country in 2009.6 Cardiovascular diseases are the major cause of death accounting for approximately half of all diabetes fatalities.
Abbott Nutrition Philippines Medical Director Jose Rodolfo V. Dimaano Jr, MD and University of Sto. Tomas Hospital Endocrinology and Metabolism Chief and Dr. Sjoberg A. Kho, MD facilitated a forum on diabetes in Makati City recently and shared things even non-diabetic person should know. They also introduced the Glucerna® 1-2-3 Challenge that promotes wellness and living a healthy lifestyle.
The Glucerna® 1-2-3 Challenge is a 12-week program that was specially designed for people with diabetes to learn simple techniques to help them manage their diabetes with a healthy lifestyle. Sponsored by the makers of Glucerna, a specialized nutrition product from Abbott for people with diabetes, the 1-2-3 Challenge provides resources for people with diabetes to create a simple plan that incorporates 1) a healthy meal plan, 2) exercise, and 3) specialized nutrition products such as Glucerna. The program’s three easy steps help people with diabetes to address three important components of managing their condition – managing blood sugar response, reducing weight and waistline, and supporting heart health.
• How the 1-2-3 Challenge Works – This free 12-week program features a robust set of online tools and solutions to provide people with diabetes with easy, meal plans and recipes, daily exercise plans with step-by-step instructional videos, and guidance on how to incorporate Glucerna into their healthy diet. Additionally, the program provides tracking tools and progress reports so they can monitor their progress that they can share with their doctors.
• Why Proper Nutrition Is Important – Eating right and exercising can have an impact on the health of people with diabetes. Additionally, scientific evidence supports the use of calorie replacement, including specialized nutrition, as part of a diabetes management plan.1-2 By providing information on exercise and healthy nutrition choices, the 1-2-3 Challenge enables people with diabetes to create healthy habits that will help in:
o Managing Blood Sugar Levels – Maintaining proper blood sugar levels is the first step to proper diabetes management and reducing the risk of complications from the condition.
o Addressing Weight and Physical Activity – Excess weight and physical inactivity can contribute to health-related complications for people with diabetes.
o Supporting Heart Health – Like all individuals, people with diabetes need to maintain heart health. Further, people with diabetes are two to four times more likely to have cardiovascular disease than people without the disease.
• Features of Glucerna Triple Care – The new Glucerna® Triple Care™ product provides a unique system of ingredients to help patients manage their blood sugar response while supporting heart health. It also can help reduce weight and waistline when used as part of an overall diabetes management plan.
• Website and Mobile App – People with diabetes can go to https://www.glucerna123challenge.com.ph to participate in the 1-2-3 Challenge. A mobile app also is available for iPhone® or Android® smart phones* for on-the-go access to the program.
• Rewards Program – To support the members of the Glucerna 123 challenge, it also has a loyalty program that rewards members with points found in every can of Glucerna Triple Care everytime they purchase. This rewards program is also extended everytime the members access the website and to update their levels of blood sugar, weight and physical activity. This promo activity was submitted and approved by FDA, per DOH-FDA permit no.1386 s.2013
For more information on the Glucerna 1-2-3 Challenge,you may contact [02-995-5555].